In 1798, the Lowland distillery Rosebank, on the banks of the Forty & Clyde Canal between Edinburgh and Glasgow, started life as the Camelon Maltings. In 1840, founder James Rankine rebuilt it into a distillery. His son expanded the distillery considerably in 1864, but it would take until 1894 before Rosebank Distillery Ltd was founded as a company. In 1914, it became part of Scottish Malt Distillers, which would end up becoming Diageo, the current owners. Rosebank is considered to be one of the best Lowland whiskies, earning her the nickname Queen of the Lowlands. Ressurection of the distillery was contemplated for a while, until the remaining production material including the stills, were stolen by copper thieves in Januari 2009. Today, what remains of the distillery has been converted into apartment homes and a Beefeater restaurant. The triple distilled whisky has seen very few official releases, but there is a whole range of independent bottlings.