The Benromach distillery was founded in 1898 in Forres, by Duncan MacCallum (who previously worked at the Glen Nevis Distillery) and F.W. Brickmann, a whisky merchant from Edinburgh. But the Pattison Crash stops them from actually producing whisky. In 1900, lack of money forces them to close. In 1911 the distillery is bought by Harvey McNair & Co from London. Production resumes until the first World War. In 1938, again new ownership, this time Associated Scottish Distilleries Ltd, that modernize the distillery and run it until 1983, when it is mothballed. It takes another decade before, in 1993, Gordon & Macphail, the famous independent bottler from Elgin, takes control of the distillery and restores it to it’s former glory. Prince Charles reopens the distillery officially in 1998 and in 2004 the first single malt is bottled again. Since 1999 Benromach has started using organic malt for the first time. In 2009, the distillery won Queen’s Award, a prestigious award for innovative businesses.